Friday, July 9, 2010

Locovore???

So the whole local vs organic thing really makes me think...can I do both? Some of the local farmers are just not certified organic because of the process/hoops they'd have to jump through but I'd have to talk to them about their practices to find out and the farmers market has been too crowded for me to feel comfortable doing that. Also, I'm sure they wouldn't mind talking to me, but really who am I to question their farming practices? I need to get the guts up to chat with them, but I want to do a bit more research so I don't sound so "green" (haha) when talking with them.

Anyway, I was reading a cookbook I found at the library...Big Green Cookbook by J. Newgent. In it she talks about "food miles" and how far your food has to travel (up to 1500 miles) and the impact that has on the environment. She claims that our food system could be responsible for up to 1/3 of the greenhouse gas emissions and food production actually makes up most of that...that's a lot! She gives some suggestions for things we can do to cut down those miles and therefore reduce our food's mileage.

By switching from using "meat and dairy to using chicken, fish or eggs one day a week it can reduce emissions equivalent to driving 760 miles a year. Switching to veggies one day a week is like cutting 1,160 miles a year out of your driving." That's a big deal. She's not advocating cutting them out all together, just one day a week...and it could help that organic grocery bill too!

So I'm thinking this is a plus for the whole "locovore" movement (eating locally grown foods). Not only does it reduce gas emissions but it helps to boost the local economy and literally puts your money where your mouth is. It shows that you support the sustainable farming practices of the local, organic farmers and helps to boost this way of farming and eating. I know where I'm going tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment